The Plugin is designed to be as user friendly as possible, but I do know that it can be a little confusing to a beginner. The below instructions are to help you understand what each setting is for.
The plugin has a lot of settings that you will never use, but i have left them in there so if you want more control you can.
This is the whole plugin
The text on the left has the links to your feeds, which cam also be found by adding
To your website URL.
As i was saying though, you will only use a tiny part of this page, this part
Everything else is just duplicated for the other feeds, which you don't need. I was even going to strip those functions out but many clients use them... i don't know why, as I would never use them, but the client is always right! :)
- Turn this feed on - This turns this feed type on, of course its the same for the feeds below it, so if you would like to generate a feed with the latest 25 products, then you turn on the "latest products" feed.
- Default file name - If you want to change the name of the generated file so it is different to the default "all_products.xml" then you can here, but of course the path to your feed will be different to "plugins/system/vmrss/all_products.xml".
- Condition - Are your products Used or New? You can specify this in the component to a per product, but this setting is an overall setting for all products. I think in a later version i will put this in the Component parameters area to make it more simple here.
- Discount Price - You can ignore this, as the latest version will ONLY place the price that would be displayed on the product page to a visitor not logged in, as this is the rules of Google. I will remove this option to stop confusion.
- Product Description - This is asking should the feed pull in the description from the short description or the long description box in the VirtueMart product page. I would choose the short description, as the long description will have HTML tags, and usually lots of text, much more than you need, where as the short description is clean plain text, and is nice and short. This is what is displayed in the search results.
- Default Description - If you have no text in your description areas of your products, , then if this is blank the plugin will create an empty description tag on your feed, which Google will fail. If you fill this in, the feed will auto detect if the field is empty and automatically pre-fill it with this text to stop Google failing you.
- Last run - This is the time stamp of when your feed was last created, if you want to manually force a new feed, just delete the time stamp and save the plugin, then refresh the website home page and it will create a new feed.
So in conclusion, turn the "All products" feed on, enable the plugin, and add a default description and press save, and leave all other feeds off. Thats all you need to do for this plugin.